Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Jag and others. It is not the unbelievers who are afraid. Religion is there with all its promised comforts of the hereafter precisely because we as humans are afraid of death. So we try to soften it by making up stories of how wonderful it will all be after we die.

In actuality, it ought to be just the opposite. The reality is that when we die, we absolutely cease to exist. ALL the evidence says that we simply...stop. The good news is that we will never know we are dead. It would be impossible to be aware of anything, including that we are unaware. It is in fact exactly like falling asleep: we do not notice the moment when we stop being conscious precisely because we are unconscious.

That should be a comfort. It is a comfort to me. I think that if I were in fact able to "look back down upon myself" from soul height and realize that I was dead, it would be a horrific trauma. I'm confident that won't be the case, for which I am deeply grateful. The sad thing is that all you believers won't know you were wrong and none of those promises will happen. I won't know I'm right and you won't know you're wrong.

Lastly (and maybe I'll give this an everlasting rest, ha!) I will say that I am not an atheist. An atheist is an anti-religion zealot, just as eager to convert as the most fervent missionary. I am not that. I am simply a non-believer who was raised in the most rigorous Catholic way - until I started asking what seemed to be rational questions. And got what were patently absurd answers, one whopper after another to "explain away" every earlier whopper. And it all unraveled. I'm still pointing out the absurdities. And slyly smiling.

....and the winner of our “Big Stick Wanna’ Be” Award is Rocky Raab!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie