Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Oldman, I'm not intending to prove or disprove anything. I'm merely pointing out that what a huge chunk of humanity has created to explain natural events is purest hokum and superstition. Just because things "are" does not imply, much less prove, that they had to have been created by some eternal and all-powerful being. Nor (and how this started) does any book of tales become the dictated message of that being just because somebody's great ancestor starting saying it was.

Hell, I wrote two books. How much of either of them came from God? You tell me. But if you say none of it, how the hell can you say every word of the other one did? Books is books, brother. They all contain morality messages.

Religions, I claim, were invented to give some people power over others. From the times of "Give up your goat as sacrifice - and now that it is holy, only I the High Priest may eat it" to "Tithe us this portion of your income so we can build a new marble and gold temple for the use of us High Priests." It has not changed. Nor has the inevitable result of "My Yahway or the highway and this way to the beheading block."

Morality programs like Buddhism and Taoism are well and good. There's a best way for humans to interact, and laying that way out is beneficial. If we could just somehow avoid what seems to be the hard-wired instinct to create gods in our own image, we'd be a lot better off.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]