Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
This was my original statement:
Religion only really cares about "life" after death, and salvation doesn't require leading a "good life". What a terrible mindset to be introducing to young and malleable minds of children.

My takeaway from our conversation is that you concur with my first sentence.
That’s ‘your’ takeaway. My position on your first sentence is in stark contrast to yours. And what I wrote about it is posted up~all can see it. Loving God, and demonstrating your love for God ‘by’ loving others is done ‘here’...on this earth. I wrote some other stuff regarding your first sentence, again~it’s there for all to see.
Originally Posted by antlers
That’s right...because grace can’t be earned...if it could be earned then it wouldn’t be grace. But, loving God, and showing your love for God ‘by’ loving others would certainly go towards leading a good life. Not done as often or as good as it should be, but the premise is still there. If the only thing motivating a person to be good and decent is the expectation of a divine reward, then that person likely has a bad theology.
And it’s also clearly in stark contrast to your position. But, ‘your’ takeaway can be whatever ‘you’ choose.
You provided an opposing opinion on the second sentence without any expansion or substantiation.
You only provided your opinion in your second sentence without any expansion or substantiation. You simply stated your opinion, and I voiced an opposing opinion. And I clearly referenced Jesus’ New Covenant commands as being a great mindset to teach children. But again, see it however ‘you’ choose. I’m fine with it.

You also made an interesting statement that grace couldn't be earned - so that means it's a lotto draw?
The grace that God extends to us, through Jesus, can’t be earned. That’s my belief. If ‘you’ choose to see it as a “lotto draw”...cool. I’m fine with it.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.