Originally Posted by irfubar
It's a bitch dragging the leadsled around the mountains.......

Funny thing about magnums, when you are young they are cool.... as you get a little older and wiser not so much. I have never been injured by magnums before.
Yesterday I shot a full house 500gr 458 load and holy crap, it actually hurt.... just a couple years ago that was no problem

I've never used a lead-sled.

When my father was in his 40s, he shot my 300 WM a few times and swore that he would never do it again. Decades later, in his late 60s, he did it with the very same Cabela's pad my son is using in the pics above, and he was amazed by how comfortable shooting the same rifle was. That was eleven years ago, and he mentioned it again on a phone call last week. He sighted in and practiced for a hunt with a couple boxes of ammo; never shot over a MOA group; and most were half of that. No one is going get "beat up" by a hunting rifle in the field. If you haven't tried the simple cheap pads that cost less than a box of ammo for range shooting, you'll never believe how much of a difference it makes. If you do, you then will know.

Here's my friend on an elk hunt with me a couple years ago.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

We had shot and sighted in together beforehand; he had never shot with a pad before; and was amazed at how it made his 7mm RM seem like a .223. He bought one for himself soon afterward.

Here's my younger son with his Past-brand version:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]