Originally Posted by krp
Well, looking at the hodgdon data... 200gr in 3006 tops at about 2400 and 300 mag at 2962... where's the beef.

A 165gr hornady interlock will kill an elk out of a 300 going 3100 at 620 yds, DRT, seen it.

My 338 killed 4 elk the first year I had it, 40 to 295 yds, 200gr factory winchester powerpoints... farthest went 40 yds dead on it's feet. That gun killed subsequent elk and deer the next seasons, including my nephew at 12 yrs old and his first cow elk. My brother loved the way it shot so much I gave it to him.

My 3006 has killed more elk than any other gun I have, the last three with a 165 TSX behind 57grs H4350 going 2830 cronied. All DRT, my wife killed her first elk with it.

I personally have only killed two elk with a gun, my first with the 3006 many moons ago, and my last on a leftover cow tag last year. Enrique here sold me a 99 in 308 and I reloaded some 150gr Hndy GMX seconds I got from Midway, 2600 fps, because I wanted to try the H4895 I was loading for 30-30 at the time. DRTed a cow early the first morning of the hunt, 175ish, I didn't range.

Oh, my SIL killed his first bull with my 270 and a factory 150 NP, just cause he was scared of bigger guns, one shot, it went 20 yds.

All my other elk kills have been archery, except the bull I killed with my truck going 50 mph... not sure how fast that is in fps but I had plenty of energy and 0 penetration... though he bounced off my grill and windshield so hard it broke tines.

Anyway, there's not been one of the 60+ rifle kills I've been on that BC or a 338 made a difference over what was carried.

Kent

PS, I post this because it's in the elk hunting, therefore killing section... I leave the gun gack to the hunting rifle section, totally different relevance there.

Kent, that makes total sense. Thanks for sharing. I'm generally a 30-06 fan myself (have hunted with one since I was 12 and it was a heavy ass sporterized m1917). I'm going to sound like I give in to peer pressure here, but I've been in groups where they look at you funny when you show up with a 30-06. Most guys here in my part of Oregon use the trusty old 338 win mag, so that is what I find myself using now. I actually felt sorry for one guy last year because he felt so "undergunned" with his 308 that he didn't even go hunting. My boss/friend uses a 338 and I hunt with him about 1/2 the time and he's bad about pushing the 338 in his elk camp. If I can ever get my 308 win's to shoot, I wouldn't mind taking one of those this year. I'm planning on going on a cow hunt where I won't be pulling the trigger but helping a good friend out with recovery (he'll help me next year grin) and I'll go on my usual over the counter general season bull hunt. Has anyone else ran into this type of scenerio with cartridge pushing in "ELK" camp or should that be a whole other thread???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA