Hey Guys: I have been enjoying this thread probably more than any other. It began 12-8-10 and has 49 pages w/482 posts. I have only entered your parlour 3 times because I haven't been PRIVILEGED to hunt elk YET. I am a seasoned deer hunter and an OLD handloader with a lot of experience with different guns & calibers.

Obviously MANY calibers have killed elk successfully. The smaller calibers are best used by the experienced hunters who know WHEN & WHERE to shoot and NOT to shoot. That applies to deer hunting calibers too.

I have enjoyed Jack Steel's treatise on the 300 WM both times it has been posted. I currently own my 5th 300 WM and it is my favorite 300 BECAUSE it's LIGHT and wonderfully accurate.

After following this thread and all the recommendations here it is MY OPINION that one is hard pressed to prove ANY caliber larger than 300 is needed. That's not to say I don't think they should be used, just that they are not needed. I'm one of the LUCKY few to own a Rem 700 8mmRM and am now convinced it's larger than NEEDED for elk. (it's NOT for sale anyway, it's the top end of my Rem. mm collection)

When 6.5s, 270s, 280s,EVEN 308s are considered plenty, why subject yourself to the weight and recoil of anything larger than a 300 mag. (Win,Wby,& Rum) NOTED our new, improved bullet selection has upgraded the smaller calibers.

Now y'all carry on, we need more threads like this one!! THANKS for letting me butt in.

JWALL

My Favorite Bumper Sticker

VEGETARIAN......Indian Word For Poor Hunter

Last edited by JWALL; 02/04/11.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!