Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by memtb
[quote=scenarshooter]

Pass on marginal shots regardless of the weapon.

Easily stated by someone that lives in elk country. For those that have to pay large sums of money to hunt an elk, and may have limited time to make an elk hunt, perhaps only once in a lifetime ......should not be restricted to “Pass on marginal shots regardless of the weapon”! And, I’m not referring to a shot of low percentage chance of hitting the necessary bullet impact location. I’m referring to using a cartridge that will drive a bullet through the vitals .....now matter the entry angle!

A proper cartridge (somewhat larger caliber), using a bullet proven to be accurate, retain a high percentage of it’s weight should be a a primary consideration for those folks, as described above! memtb

Easily stated by me regardless of where I live.....re read my post, I've been in on 200+ elk kills, and many, many of them were non residents I was guiding.

I will agree that many cannot handle the recoil some of the good elk cartridges..including something as light as a 30-06. There are many people that have no business hunting elk....period, for a myriad of reasons!

And it’s “ no hair off of your arse” if the client fails to kill his/her elk........it’s the non - resident client that spent thousands of $ and may potentially never have enough points to elk hunt again. As stated before......those folks should have the most cartridge that they are proficient with! It’s the hunter’s decision what that threshold is......not some outfitter/guide that doesn’t personally know the client!

We shall continue to disagree! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024