Originally Posted by bluefish

Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

BobinNH �

You are correct � energy isn�t the only thing that matters. Nevertheless, other factors being equal, energy levels can make a huge difference.

At the end of the day, ALL the damage done to an animal is done via energy transferred from the bullet to the animal. It�s kind of like free falling at 125 mph � it isn�t the velocity that kills you, it is the sudden stop (energy transfer) at the end of the fall.

Sorry - not true. The simple transference of energy via bullet doesn't tell the whole story. The part left out is the bullet itself first hitting tissue/organ/bone and in turn the effect that has on overall systemic function. Second, the free fall analogy is incorrect; while you're right the free fall itself even at 125 mph won't kill you the resultant systemic trauma then failure caused by the damage done by the sudden stop kills you not the sudden stop itself. If your statements were accurate there would be no one who survives lightning strikes and plenty do every year.

You may want to re-read what I wrote. What I said was �all the damage done to an animal is done via energy transferred from the bullet to the animal.� The �effect that has on overall systemic function� that you mention is a direct result of that damage, which obviously would include the bullet hitting flesh and possibly bone. Look at it this way � if NO energy is transferred, NO damage is done and there is NO �systemic effect�.

As to the free fall and the sudden stop, it is once again the damage caused by the rapid energy transfer during the stop that creates the �resultant systemic trauma �. No energy transfer means no damage, no death, no injury.

Many people do survive lightning strikes every year, many others die. The differences are many but the amount of energy transferred and the manner in which it is transferred is key. Sometimes most of the energy actually passes around the outside of a person�s body, resulting in various degrees of injury, sometimes it passes through the body and fries body parts to a carbon crisp or even vaporizes them. Most survivors, I suspect, are like my brother and his friend � victims of a near miss that burnt some clothing but did little else. Once again, however, if no energy is transferred, no bodily damage is done and there is no injury or death.

I never suggested �simple transference� of energy was responsible. In fact, if you read my previous response to BobinNH you will see that I specifically discuss the importance of the time element (as in �sudden� in �sudden stop� in the post you quote from).

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.