Originally Posted by cobrad
I've looked at the .264 for a few decades. The combination of speed, high BC, and enough bullet weight and SD make this a much more powerful elk killer than it is given credit for, IMO. Problem now is making the decision; .264 Win mag or 7mm Rem mag. I guess the 7 Remmy must still be the absolute, whiz-bang, anyone can shoot this light saber and kill 'em way over yonder elk shooting machine, that is versatile enough to shoot prairie dogs and marmots out around the half-mile mark, just to stay in practice. Either round will do all this without kicking your pants off so the regular Joe, like me, can become accurate with it. Is it settled yet? grin grin

Either one should work for you. My daughters don�t mind the recoil of my 7mm RM, which is similar to a .30-06, and they are not particularly fond of recoil. Don�t know that I could hit a PD at half a mile, but yes, the 7mm RM is a very versatile cartridge. Mine has dumped more than a few PDs and coyotes while getting ready for big game season. I CAN hit clay pigeons at 600 yards with both the 7mm RM and 6.5-06AI, which is pretty close to the .264 Win Mag. (My daughters love to shoot that one, BTW.)

Pretty certain my 6.5-06AI with 130-140�s will make a dandy elk rifle. At 800 yards it is just a step behind my 7mm RM loads and those for the .264 win Mag.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.