Rancho I already put you in your place once...And I never said gut shot I asked and was not answered "One question: Do we as hunter ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS hit them where we want to? Every single time we pull the trigger?"
I think it is MY OPINION AND ONLY MY OPINION that a larger caliber gun shooting a high quality bullet will have a better effect on a large game animal if the hunter makes a error and smacks im square in the front shoulder or ever POSSIBLY the center of a hind leg. As for a gut shot no I don't think there are any advantages with that shot because there is nothing there to create server crippling damage such as organs,a large amount of enery and shock which might rupture and heavily damage organs, or bones being broken need to escape. Im also not condoning hunters taking poor shots but...[bleep] happen in the field with me this year I killed my elk I took my time, range found it, made the clicks on my scope, beared down and sent it, in the picture below was not where I intended to hit it got the job done but my point is we as hunter don't ALWAYS hit our exact target. And in SOME cases that extra lead,power,energy MIGHT help. MY OPINION ONLY. Not to mention that was the entry hole the one on the other side is 2" at 592 yrds. thats power and energy at work.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by GARYANDGUS; 12/19/10.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.