Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
The fact that this thread has gone on for 40+ pages indicates that average calibers have made a significant inroad into the magnum debate.
The elk hunting articles of the last 40-50 years spoke to the necessity of larger calibers. But midwestern and eastern deer hunters found success with 308's, 270's and 30-06's. How could that be? The need to put a reasonably well constructed bullet in the heart/lungs convinced many that elk were just large deer. Despite using premium bullets, placement was paramount and the ultimate game changer. The other factor was to enjoy the cat and mouse game and not to shoot farther then your confidence level.

I dont know the mental gymnastics one has to go through to suggest that because one thinks a magnum may be a better mouse trap that they also believe a non magnum won't work. They in fact will work, just not as well and we are talking about what's best here, not what is adequate.
Former board members like Allen Day and BobinNH would tell you flat out that magnums crumpled elk better than standards and both had plenty of experience.

A magnum only stretches out the killing distance by a small amount. I've killed elk with many different cartridges including 300wsm, 30-06, 9.3x62mm, 338wm and 300wm. I don't think anything ever killed any better than the good ol 06 spitting 200gr partitions. Most of my elk have been shot at close range and have only taken one step after being hit. The ones that ran the furthest, are the ones shot with the biggest heaviest pill I've used: the 286gr nosler partition in the 9.3x62mm. I actually shot 2 elk with that rifle and both ran further than any other elk I've shot. The 30-06 loaded with 200's and the 338wm have been my favorite elk cartridges. Most cartridges will work just fine, if you put the right bullet in the boiler room. Or lets just say, most cartridges will "crumple" elk when you use the right bullet and put it in the right spot...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA