What rifle/cartridge/bullet would you choose???

- I would use a 225 grain Trophy Bonded. I sight it in 3.5" high at 100 yards.That is 3.5" low shot at a measured 300 yards.

What shots would you be willing to take with your cartridge of choice regarding range and angle??

-Range; First shot? Under excellent conditions I might go 400 yards if I got enough time to practice at that distance from field positions. Our range goes out to one thousand yards and I shoot that far occasionally. I seem to be able to hit targets at 600 yards with the .338 when I shoot that far.

-Angle; Depends too much on the conditions to say. The bullet I shoot is capble of doing any angle I might need. Of course, so is a 30-06 with any number of bullets, depending on what the rifle likes.

The point is instead of worrying about adequate let�s talk about what is the absolute best elk cartridge in the world??

-Of the rifles I have used on elk the .338 would be my choice. An important hunt is not the time to change IMHO.

I don't think there is a best cartridge. One "best" might be a well set up .338 Lapua or .340 Weatherby. A .300 Weatherby using 200 grain bullets also seems to have a lot going for it from where I sit.

Unfortunately, the rifles, weight and barrel lengths [not counting the huge scopes some folks need don't fit my hunting style and preferences well.