Originally Posted by memtb
I will agree that many cannot handle the recoil some of the good elk cartridges..including something as light as a 30-06. There are many people that have no business hunting elk....period, for a myriad of reasons!

And it’s “ no hair off of your arse” if the client fails to kill his/her elk........it’s the non - resident client that spent thousands of $ and may potentially never have enough points to elk hunt again. As stated before......those folks should have the most cartridge that they are proficient with! It’s the hunter’s decision what that threshold is......not some outfitter/guide that doesn’t personally know the client!

We shall continue to disagree! memtb

I agree with your approach memtb. Before my first AK bear hunt, I bought and shot about 200 rounds (about $1K) through my .375 Wby and got really good with it. I'm glad my guide didn't try to talk me out of it or using his .338 instead once I got there. Instead, on the first night at the first camp, he asked me to pick up my rifle. I did. Then, he asked me promptly to shoot the base of a distinctive reed about 100 yds away in the river. I shouldered it and did just that (or close enough that it disappeared into the exploding water). He said something to the effect of: "Okay, you're not BS-ing." The next morning I put a 300gr NP into the place I was aiming on a 9'2" boar 97 yds away, went through and blew up both lungs, and he died in about a second. .