The smallest I have used is the pip-squeak 308 win in a 600 Remington - the mountains were steep! The largest and most often used is a 338 win Mag with 250 grain Partitions. There are no flies on the 338 with 250 grain partitions! I've had 4 ea. 338's and even though I had a 700 338 and a controlled feed 70, my favorite was a post 64 push feed. I no longer own a 338.

Another rifle I've used is the 350 RM in a Remington 600 with 250 grain Partitions - if I carry that rifle again I'll probably just use 250 grain Hornady Interlocks.

If I am lucky enough to draw another tag, I'll be using the 300 Weatherby in a Remington 700 with a synthetic stock and a 6x scope (or if I'm stuck with a variable it will be set on 6x). I'll be pushing 200 grain partitions out the end of the tube.

I suppose some would say that the 300 Weatherby/200 gr partitions is over kill. But I'm not as good a hunter as many and I don't get bulls standing sideways for me often enough.

BTW: I am not even close to an elk hunting expert as many on the fire are. But I used to live in elk country and used to see them on a daily basis. I shot my biggest bull a 1/4 mile from my home back then.

Last edited by Bugger; 12/31/20.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally