Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Yes, it is. When talking about shooting rifles and how much recoil is too much, we generally assume ....

Who's "we"? And no we don't. Anyone who assumes something illogical in a bet can't change the bet afterwards.

We: the members of this forum and others that have been discussing this very topic for decades. The standard assumption is no artificial recoil reduction. You've heard for years that the average hunter can't handle the recoil from anything larger than about a .30-06, yes? That obviously means no muzzle brake, no Past recoil shield, no lead sled, etc. Come on. You know what I meant by my original statement. You're being deliberately obtuse, and are just trying to be argumentative.

Originally Posted by MarineHawk

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

.. I'm betting that if you were to shoot that rifle from prone or from the bench 50 times in a practice session (the average guy zeros and practices from the bench, remember), you'd see your first bruise. ...

That's how I shoot from the bench. I'm not talking about laying it some lead-sled or something. I'm talking about holding it normally and simply putting a cheap pad on that radically reduces felt recoil but doesn't change anything else. If your clients are afraid of recoil and shoot poorly, why don't you recommend that simple solution instead of becoming an enabler to their recoil terror?

That's not shooting a rifle normally. If I shoot from the bench by sitting at the bench normally, and then simply pressing a button so my tripod-mounted 20mm Vulcan fires at the target, I guess by your logic I can handle the recoil from firing a 20mm Vulcan from the bench? Come on, man. This is ridiculous. This whole argument is like competing in the Special Olympics.

There is no need to recommend an excessively large rifle and a recoil shield to anyone, when a smaller rifle kills just as cleanly and plenty quick enough, IME. If a guy simply wants to use a large magnum and recoil shield, or even a 20mm, he can have at it! No skin off my back.

Look, if you want to shoot your big magnums with a Cabelas or Past recoil shield, that's fine with me. If you want to pretend like you won some twisted bet, then I'm happy for you.