Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
[quote=MarineHawk]That's not shooting a rifle normally. If I shoot from the bench by sitting at the bench normally, and then simply pressing a button so my tripod-mounted 20mm Vulcan fires at the target, I guess by your logic I can handle the recoil from firing a 20mm Vulcan from the bench? Come on, man. This is ridiculous. This whole argument is like competing in the Special Olympics.

There is no need to recommend an excessively large rifle and a recoil shield to anyone, when a smaller rifle kills just as cleanly and plenty quick enough, IME. If a guy simply wants to use a large magnum and recoil shield, or even a 20mm, he can have at it! No skin off my back.

Look, if you want to shoot your big magnums with a Cabelas or Past recoil shield, that's fine with me. If you want to pretend like you won some twisted bet, then I'm happy for you.

You’re absurd. I’m not shooting anything off a tripod, just shooting normally with a 1/4” pad over my shoulder. I’ve shot that thing countless times without a pad with no bruising, including when I forgot to bring the pad. Look at the video I posted above (here, again: https://i.imgur.com/xMUu4AG.mp4); no pad on; no bruising. It just allows you to shoot NORMALLY with EVEN less recoil. I don’t need to use the pad, but it doesn’t do anything negative when shooting NORMALLY. I suggest that your client who allegedly go hunting after shooting 10” groups with a .300, but purportedly shoots with NASA-like precision when you hand him a rifle you purportedly told them has less recoil, might want to try something to reduce felt recoil while shooting NORMALLY.

Here’s my son again shooting a 300 WM normally with a thin pad that just reduces the recoil. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

At 16, he’s consistently under a MOA.

Big difference: I don’t care, and am not am insecure about, what you shoot. But if anyone claims that anything more potent than a Creddmore might be a viable option, you get you panties in a wad and get all offended that your way is not the only way.