Originally Posted by BC30cal
One of the many things we're going to have to sort out - IF - we can sort it out, is the long tern effect of both the government and media switching message so often and the fear mongering.

Interesting times indeed isn't it? Well said though sir that we'll try to stay positive and perhaps some of us more senior folks will have opportunity to lead/mentor as many of us have survived much worse than this beer flu mess and are still here.

All the best to you all Hugh. Dwayne

Dwayne, all the best to you. It is a light shower day here with a forecast of snow late evening and overnight. Our annual May dump of white may be on the way. The moisture is badly needed.

Your one comment on the long term effect of the government and media switching messaging is interesting and if more people actually took the time to critically watch / review what has been going on they would see a shell game. I believe COVID is a serious issue however I have never in my life or my career backed away from telling people the whole story and outlining the proposed solution. What we have now is ever changing goal posts to re-opening or a gift bestowed on us at some point in the future by a benevolent government of life returning to normal - perhaps if everything works out.

The current example I would note to this is todays news in Alberta saying the road to re-opening is for the non-believers in Alberta (now at 17% to get vaccinated) and low hospitalization numbers (currently 220 ish in ICU of which 50% are CV). At one point it was 50% of the population to be vaccinated then 70% now it is 85% plus a reduction in hospitalization.

Note that the message put out does not say anything about being fully vaccinated. That is 2 shots. The 2nd dose for those that choose to take is not scheduled until late summer and a fully vaccinated 85% number will be into early fall.

Now the real life example of why this lack of full disclosure is important. A person having one shot can still be infected, become ill or become a carrier. Our son works in a high risk non medical environment. Even though he is under 40 he has received his first shot a couple of months ago. He is tested every two weeks and even though he has never been positive he has been sent home to isolated 3 times due to contact tracking of potential exposures at his work.

So now with more variants, the open border policy of the Feds, the lack of a 2nd dose for those that want it and having the duration between doses for Canadians being beyond the supplier recommendations what is real the measuring stick for re-opening? There are missing pieces.
What are the real metrics for reduced restrictions?

Closing drive-ins for families because they may leave their cars and mingle with others is over the top big brother and these types of actions have people pushing back. It seems the protests are getting more people involved every day.

I keep telling my wife all we can do is look after ourselves and our immediate family. Life as we knew it has changed and now we adjust and move forward in a different direction. We know the risks and can manage our lives accordingly without big brothers help.

Take care

Hugh