Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I pack this knife around a bunch here lately. Made by the same fellow woh made my big knife I posted earlier. Turned walnut handle.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Very cool, but to modern sensibilities, those knives look to us like the sorts of knives a chef might use rather than being dedicated fighting knives.

They are kitchen butcher knives! šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜ What do you think everyone carried back then? Trade knives were butcher knives. Plain and simple. Look at the Perkins/Shively bowie. This is pretty much the accepted Bowie most likely used by James and Rezin!

Hereā€™s one of Tim Ridgeā€™s interprĆ©tations of a French trade (kitchen) knife. It has a good stout blade that will take some abuse. I use it for my Schweinfanger because of itā€™s 9" length. Perfect in the kitchen, or on the belt! šŸ˜‰.

I agree with you. In fact I made this very point in response to the first such knife you posted.

Sorry Hawkeye! I missed that post you made!!! Hereā€™s a pic of a copy of the Perkins knife that was made by the same fellow in Indiana who made my big knife. He made it for my companĆŖro who is the site director at Presidio La Bahia at Goliad. Its a damn nice rendition

Last edited by kaywoodie; 05/23/21.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS