Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I'm no knife guy, wouldn't know how to use one if I had to. But in in 1971 I saw a guy laying outside the Elbow Room in Dutch Harbor with his guts in the gravel, State Trooper said it was one slice with a filet knife by a Filipino about 5 feet tall. So maybe it's more about sharp than the pattern or style.

That's why a zero grind edge bevel is so good on a dedicated fighting knife. Easy to keep them razor sharp.

Didn't Jim Bowie do that in the Sand bar duel. He grabbed the Doctors sword cane pulled him in and gutted him with his large knife.

Zero grind used to be very popular. But it requires more work to create, so lost popularity because knife makers wanted to put a quick edge grind on to get their product to market.
They're still popular in other countries from what I gather. Widely known as a "scandi grind". I have a few myself from Mora and Martiini and they're overrated for most uses as far as I'm concerned. Edges easily chipped or bent/folded and don't slice meat/hide any better than a thin hollow ground or flat ground blade with shallow secondary edge bevel.