Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
I don't see any of the Orc Lovers talking about their time in the service.

I wonder why that is?
In my case it is because I wanted no part of it. And now I don't want my kids or grandchildren mixed up in killing or being killed in some foolishness across the ocean.

We haven't gained a thing by our foreign adventures. Nothing. Starting with the Spanish/American War. All it has done is put us into position for another war. WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, and all that Middle-East crap.

And before anyone pipes up with "Japan attacked us". Why did they attack us? Who embargoed them, who blockaded trade with them?

As Ron Paul observed "sanctions lead to war".

And why did we embargo them? It was a political response to the military actions of the Japanese.

I did not serve, either. Not necessarily because I was anti-military, I happened to be pursuing an academic career, which got me out of compulsory service, and then I moved countries. Even so, I doubt I would have been a good fit in the military

Let me give you a perspective from someone who comes from a country that WAS fundamentally "live and let live", down to being unaligned politically and militarily, like Sweden and Switzerland, all the way through WWI, up to WWII.

That worked out rather well in WWI. Our good neighbors in Belgium got put through the meat grinder ("Flanders Fields"), and the Dutch sat on the sidelines not spending treasure and blood, and trying to hang on to their own trade empire.

It didn't work out so well in WWII. Hitler thought The Netherlands were geographically too strategic and the Dutch to much of a "Bruder Volk" to leave it alone, and thus over ran it in three days.

There will be a fight, at some point, to check Putin's ambitions. As long as Nato exists, it will happen when Nato countries become involved. If Nato dissolves, the fight will be postponed, but something, sometime will happen to draw us in. Sooner, or later. How do you propose to do that? Do we wait, and hope, and pray, and sing Kum-ba-ya until something happens, which will be followed by throwing thousands of American and Allied lives at it, ruin several countries or even a continent, risk escalation to nuclear arms and spend multiple trillions........ or do we ruin one country, no American or Allied lives, no meaningful risk of nuclear arms, and spend billions in close-to-expiration date weapons, munitions and straight aid?

There will be a fight. This one doesn't require American blood. I'd spend TRILLIONS on this fight because it is a realistic opportunity to avoid killing ANY of our best young men and women.

Sic Semper Tyrannis