Not that my opinion counts for anything here, but I am not a fan of the newest trend in buying a shooting "system" of rifle, scope, loads, etc. Not that I don't think they are fantastic tools, I just feel they inspire a level of confidence that someone with little to no trigger time behind said rifle should have. I know a few people who can afford these "systems" and have purchased them, checked zero at 100 yds and proceeded to look for an animal to shoot at 500+ yds having never shot at a live animal past 125 yds previously. I feel that the shot in this video is absolutely ethical even if the energy of 243 is questionable at that range. It is ethical because the shot was coached by someone with vast knowledge of the equipment and conditions, who has years of experience making those kinds of shots. There is absolutely no equipment on earth that can make up for a lack of trigger time.

To clarify, I primarily bowhunt and it requires careful attention to scent control, sound, wind, etc. Most of my archery kills happen inside 25 yds. I have passed on animals that I could have easily taken with a rifle at 200 yds. That's just part of the game. That being said, I have no problem with someone who takes the time to learn his equipment and the capabilities of his cartridge of choice taking game at 500+, but ONLY if he has put in the trigger time needed to cleanly take game at those yardages. You cannot buy equipment that by itself will make you capable of this. I hunt over some fields where 600-700 yard shots are possible. My personal limit with my equipment is 300-400 at this time and I hope to extend those ranges this offseason.