I'm not John or JB, but I've some experience with the vld at short range. Shot two antelope and an oryx in the past two months with 6.5 140 vld this year (3175 fps at the muzzle). Both antelope were under 100 yards and the oryx at 140 yards.

One of the antelope and the oryx performed perfectly. The other antelope was shot high in the shoulder, shooting slightly uphill. Ending up making a mess of him. I suspect that I hit the spine, which caused the mess. Made a quick follow up shot to put him kill him. He wasn't going anywhere, but I wasn't going to wait on him to bleed out.

[Linked Image]

Here is the other antelope. Shot right at 100 yards and he was DRT. Everything was liquid on the inside.

[Linked Image]

The bullet performed perfectly on the oryx. Shot him broadside at 140 and again on the run at about 225. The first shot would have killed him, but he was running the wrong direction from the truck and I was trying to shorten the pack out. Oryx are pretty tough animals and I was very happy how the bullet performed on him. Everything was mush.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jlboykin; 12/10/11.