I don't think I would question any of the guys on here who's abilities are a known value. I would only question a shot like this if it was made by somebody who may or may not have the appropriate confidence and ability to make the shot successfully with a reasonable degree of consistency. JB has proven his shooting abilities to be more than adequate for a shot like this. Any he was the one who made it happen. The girl made a nice shot, but she was simply the trigger squeezer. As long as she can hold the rifle steady enough and squeeze the trigger properly, her abilities are sufficient. It was JB that had to figure distance, drop, windage, etc, which we all know that he can do as well as the best of them. Having said that, sometimes crap happens, whether long range, or close. If a hunter has never wounded an animal, then he hasn't shot too many animals. It's a risk we take as soon as we decide to fire a bullet at a distant animal, and the risk varies with our shooting experience and confidence, regardless of distance.

As long as a bullet has enough velocity to expand, and enough momentum to reach the vitals, I'm happy. This applies to all my game shooting, regardless of species. Apparently the .243 with 105gr VLD met both of these criteria in this case, even though it was beyond the 300-yard, prescribed limitation that lots of guys put on the .243. Works for me.