Originally Posted by Phasmid
Originally Posted by Jim the Plumber
To those that have a problem with just dry firing and coaching, you have never taught/ coached shooting. I took my second "daughter" to the range this summer. She had fired one round out of a rifle in her life(24yo) and with 10 minutes of coaching and dry firing, she went 7 straight @ 595 yards, keeping her shots inside 1 1/2 MOA with the rifle below. The doe shot was 675 yards. Shots out to ~700 are really not that hard with the right set up.

Was there much wind on the range that range day with your daughter or when you shot the doe? Wyoming winds makes hitting things pretty hard for me. I agree that on dead calm days it is pretty much a matter of LRF, dial, and apply basic rifle marksmanship principals to a good setup like yours to hit. However, with MT blowing and CO sucking it is always windy in WY grin. Are you self-taught on reading wind or military trained?

One the doe shot, I was using 1/2mil right wind. For Shyla's shots, she dialed 1.5 mils left wind. Self taught. I shoot ~3000 rounds of center fire rifle a year. There is no substitute for trigger time. i shoot over 300 days a year, and prefer to shoot when the wind is blowing hard/unpredictably. It pays off.