Some of the argument in this thread is created through misunderstanding, because people don't seem to read carefully enough.

Let me try to be perfectly clear:
� I have no qualms whatsoever about JB's skills or about the capability of his rifles - or the .243, for that matter.
� I've read many of John's posts - to me he sounds like a good guy, someone I'd hang around with.
� I'm not suffering from a case of sour grapes or jealousy.
� I congratulate the lady for her accomplishment and John for his products and expertise. Hell, I'd love it if I had the opportunity to be mentored by JB.
� My concern is over JB's slip in judgement in having the lady shoot at a live animal w/o first giving her any long range practice at inanimate targets. Even though I have shot and hunted for 45 years, I have never shot an animal past 300 yards, and If JB were coaching me, I would certainly want to practice first on targets at long range before tackling an elk. Also, I've taken a few newbies hunting with me over the years, but I have never done so without first taking them to the range to give them some practice and guidance. To me, this is just common sense, and I'll bet that JB usually follows that progression.
� I suspect that John's motivation in having the lady do this and subsequently posting it on the Campfire was governed more by a desire for self-promotion rather than sharing his pride in his neighbor's accomplishment ... but only JB would be able to know that with certainty.

While I was rock chuck hunting the farmer's kid rode up on his motorcycle. He asked what we were shooting at. We were on a quarter section. That is a mile long and a quarter mile wide. We were parked on the road on one side and shooting at the 'chucks beyond the road on the other side of the field more than 400 yards away. The kid wanted to shoot one.

A few minutes later one came out on a rock for sunning. I dialed the scope for the shot and got the kid into position. I had him dry fire one shot to check the trigger. He fired. The chuck flopped over. First long shot for a fourteen year old and it was a hit on a small target about half the size of a house cat.

Congrats to the girl and John for his ability to dial and dope.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter