Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Thanks for the report! How did the 2 inch .38's do?

We didn't demo any revolver loads at this seminar, as nobody brought a revolver (I had travelled by air to MN with carry-on baggage only, so my 442 stayed home, sadly, and all I had on me was a borrowed PM9). But I did ask about it for the class's general edification.

Johan did talk about the Speer 135 gr +P GDHP, which was developed specifically for use in short-barreled 38's like the 442 and Colt DS. He said it performs virtually identically to the 9mm GDHP bullets he demo'd in 9mm and 40 S&W, i.e., 12" penetration in clothed gelatin, reliable expansion, and good barrier-penetration capability.

FWIW, based on all the studies I've seen and participated in (gelatin and real shootings) the very two best loads for a snub 38 are the standard pressure 148 gr wadcutter target load and the Speer 135 gr +P GDHP JHP. Since they shoot to slightly different POA/POI past 15 yards, I've regulated the sights on my 442 and my 340 (I have Crimson Trace lasers on both guns)for the GDHP and that's the only load I carry now.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars