doc, I think you would find this guys youtube videos interesting. he does calibrate each block of ballistic gelletin and uses the same 4 layers of denim on each test. its not some idiot blasting off rounds and I think its pretty darn clear this guy has no agenda as to what performs what. I think you can see him load the gun with the ammo. none the less the way he performs the test is consistent throughout all the test of various rounds. if thats what he is doing we can get an apples to apples comparison done.

someone mentioned the 45 acp and compared it to 9mm. ask yourself why did browning come up with the 45 acp, its because it had to perform shooting ball ammo because that was a military requirement. if I am stuck with shooting ball ammo a 45 would be what I would want. but we are not stuck with shooting only ball ammo. this is the reason why the 1911 never really took off in law enforcement situations, not to mention the mag only held 1 extra round than a revolver. give me 16 rounds of 9mm in a double stack mag all day over a handful of 45 ACP's