Originally Posted by Boococky
Bottom line, ANY gun is better than no gun and although we would love to kill all the bad guys, the most important aspect is stopping the threat.

Also, I do not believe that .380 will only penetrate a couple of inches.....I do believe, however, that it's not up to FBI standards because they need more effective weapons, but for day to day personal protection, a .380 will do just fine wink

Bc, you have articulated your reasons for carrying your 380, and that's what it's all about: YOU make your decisions as to what's a minimum for YOU. The last thing I am trying to say to anyone by starting this thread was that folks should carry what I think is appropriate.

As for the bottom line, yes, you're absolutely right: stopping the threat is the goal. What one decides is the minimum or optimum caliber/gun/load for stopping the threat is a highly individual decision. Whether the FBI or your local patrolman needs a "more effective weapon" than I do as a CCW citizen is debateable; in my case, I've made the decision to carry weapons that meet LE backup gun minimums at least, which for my former departments and my local sheriff's department is 9x19mm/38 Special.

I will say this, though, after debriefing many, many, many cops who've been involved in a shooting. None of them ever said they wished they'd had a smaller gun/caliber going into their fight.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars