Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Well, we'll all be able to find out shortly. But I just ran some numbers through various calculations, and there's no reason a somewhat larger capacity 6.5mm than the .264 Winchester shouldn't get 3400 with a 129-grain bullet, especially with a 26" barrel. And if they do, there's no reason not to meet their claim of a 415-yard point-blank range with a zero at 350 for mule deer/caribou/elk-sized game.

You're right, of course. I don't doubt that the new cartridge will do what they say it will (poorly-worded post, my fault) I'm just skeptical of the practical advantages. I was ready to shoot my pronghorn with my 6.5-06 Ackley at 500 yards this year but ended up shooting it at 60 with a MV of 3,050. I had plenty of velocity and the right bullet to get out past 500 and I agree with Prairie Goat on the downside of hyper-velocity at close range, it was bad enough at 3,050.

It all boils down to "how much is enough" and you can't get much more subjective than that. I'd bet that Nosler will sell enough rifles to make it worth their while, and they are smart to capitalize on all the interest in LR hunting with both the ABLR and a new cartridge that will be the velocity king in factory .264's.

When people talk about the advantages of 6.5's they invariably talk about the caliber being a good balance between high-bc bullets that are heavy enough for big game up to elk but with manageable recoil. It just seems to me that a 130 or 140 pushed by 90 grains of powder will be nudging the outside of that envelope, as far as recoil.

Just the opinion of a guy who sold his 264 WMs in favor of the 6.5-06, so take it with a grain of salt.

By the way, is the italicized text in your quote above what Nosler said about the cartridge, or is that an interpretation on your part?

A wise man is frequently humbled.