Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by MGunns
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Hey, if you're comfortable hunting long range with a rifle you fire 8-10 round a year though, then I don't even know where to begin....

That I am sure of if you didn't comprehend in the first place. Long range for many is between 300 to 500 yards and it don't take hundreds of rounds a month to accomplish

+1 We put a lot of Marines out there hitting targets out to 500 yds with a peep sight and front sight post with little to no experience......Beyond that is another story I think.

A couple comments:

A) Not even close to the same thing. The 500 yard qual target is a good bit larger than game's vitals. I believe recruits these days use ACOGS as well.
B) The guys who are good, practice. If someone thinks they can shoot out to 500 yards consistently on deer sized targets with 8 to 10 rounds a year of practice, they are FOS. That amount of practice will provide little training in dopeing the wind, let alone marksmanship fundamentals.

I agree. Just saying that out to 500 or so is possible with some training. I think that it gets much more difficult further out.