Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by MattMan
I've shot 140s from a 264 WM, extensively. Also shot 180s from a 300 WM extensively.

Recoil isn't even slightly similar, and the 300 was heavier. Same stock, same gun, etc... 300 had a magnum weight 24" barrel, 264 has the lighter 24" sporter.

I agree and that's with a whole bunch of 300 Win Mag's.Even a 7 Rem Mag rocks less,over all.

About all I ever noticed with a 264 is that it "kicks" of course,but the punch is lighter.

The rifles for 264 and 7 Rem Mag do not require that gorilla grip to control common among the 300's.

RARE is the man who, with a Sendero weight rifle chambered in the above calibers, can fire from prone with a loop sling, and maintain natural point of aim from shot to shot. IE, the dominant hand comes up and flicks the bolt and no azz-wiggling.

Put that same rifle in a heavier AI stock, the percentage of folks who can do that goes up

Those who can do that with the same calibers, in an 8# rifle, probably have an NFL or WWF background.

Tolerating recoil is mostly psychological. Managing recoil is a bit mental but mostly physics.