Originally Posted by Ringman

I am not being smart alack. How does one use a sling to aid in shooting?

Ringman this is not easy to explain and a picture is worth a thousand words but I don't have one....so I will do my best. Oher feel free t chime in because this may not be pretty. smile

Slings like a Brownell Latigo (or a standard military type,and Ching's and stuff like that...there are slight variations on the theme) can be used by sliding your left arm through the sling loop up to between your shoulder and bicep;the "keeper" on the sling is then slid down to tighten the loop around your arm.

You take a half turn of the sling with the forward portion of your arm and jam your left hand hard against he swivel stud...this arrangement is going to feel "tight" at this point and of course the sling is pre-adjusted.

The arrangement is tight enough at this point that the right hand has to lift the butt into your shoulder,and settling into position, whether prone or sitting you will find that your "hold" is much steadier than if you are unaided.

Steadier than a Pack or bipod? Maybe, maybe not and depends on who is doing it....but a good rifleman with a sling properly wrapped up can easily throw "strikes" at 300-400 yards;some further.

Of course this all takes practice like anything else.It sounds complex but can be very fast once accustomed to it, is more versatile than a bipod if speed is an issue, and can be used from standing,sitting,or prone within short time frame so is very versatile.

After you are done shooting,or don't need the sling a tug on the sling will retract it to a closed position, out of the way,and flush with the rifle.To deploy you pull the other way to open..it can all be done pretty quickly....essentially,once mastered, you are really never without rest. I rarely use a simple "carry" sling on a rifle.

An old deceased buddy once wanted to shoot my 375H&H at 300 yards....he was an experienced match shooter and watched him wrap up from prone,and throw 7-8 "10's" at 300 yards before handing the rifle back, saying the big rifle was a hoot to shoot! smile

Anybody have any picture of this stuff?

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/27/13.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.