What would be cool is if some of the guys would snap a wide pic of the area they are finding them. It would be really interesting for the novice such as I to maybe pick up a tip or two about the areas to look.

One would think that, but out here in the west, it's certainly not the case. Two instances: 1. A couple years back a friend and I were traversing an essentially featureless sagebrush plain to approach some pronghorn. Midway, we passed through about a 3 acre spot, with absolutely no distinguishing features, that was littered with points, drills, scrapers, and what I call expediency knives (simply sharp edged flakes knapped off for short term work like skinning a bunny). No signs of water, windbreaks, or vegetation that would draw me there today as a suitable camping spot.

2: An ongoing nearby dig in a depression that would provide some shelter. It's dating to around 14,000 yrs before present. Excavated plant materials and bones suggests the area supported a wealth of willows and pine, waterfowl, and wetland mammals. Today, it too is a featureless plain of sagebrush with the nearest water about 10 miles distant. Structural disparities in the artifacts also, suggest the area was occupied and then abandoned over several intervals.

Here in the west, perennial water sources are a pretty good bet as are some of the shallow but seasonal lake basins. Fourteen thousand year back, however, some of those basins were under 300+ ft of water.

Interesting stuff for those that study such.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/20/17.

1Minute