My father was skilled at making similar native american artifacts for a historical museum in Saginaw, Michigan. He became interested in hunting for artifacts when a huge burial ground was found on his parent's land. We had several suitcases full of artifacts in our basement, and I used to go through them every once in a while as a child. Some of them were so perfect, and lots of them were just peices. I really like the pottery and what was called a "bird stone." It was a cerimonial peice worn by a influencial shaman in the tribe. Five river come together in Michigan at Saginaw. The indians used the rivers like highways and traded heavily in the Saginaw region. We live less than a mile from where all the rivers came together. We walked the farm fields in the spring and could find plenty of arrowheads and chips on the surface. When we turned the soil in our garden in the spring, we always found a point or two.

My father's collection was finally donated to the University of Michigan. He got it back years later, and after my father's death, it was given to the Saginaw Historical Society. One of the dig sites we used to go to was named after my father. I very proud of dad's volunteering his time and collection to the Historical Society. I loved helping him dig with the Historical Society. He spent many hours logging in various artifacts and helped in setting up there displays at the museum. He taught a lot of folks about the history around our home town, but more, he taught me and my brothers how volunteering brings a community together. He was a great man.

William Clunie