This fall while hunting near a cliff face there was a small very shallow cave above a bench I used to scale the hill. The inside of the cave was probably about 6' deep and the roof of it was blackened from the smoke of eons of cooking fires. My brother-in-law was hunting about a mile from me and after the 3rd day he told me he had found an arrowhead in the dirt near where he was sitting.
The next day I decided to take my lunch and explore the area around the cave. I found pottery shards, scrapers, spear tips, flint shards and arrowheads. Some of the pottery shards even had the fingerprints of their makers still visible.
I had recently read a book about the Anastazi and their disapearance that I enjoyed very much. I loaned it to my Dad when I was done since he had some interest as well. That night I called him and described the pottery shards I had seen (there were many different colors and textures indicating that whoever used the cave was there for many generations and had traded widely). According to the book, the earliest pieces were from about 450 AD and the latest around 1300 AD.
I figured that the cave was used as some kind of a temporary hunting camp, but who knows? It was pretty cool to know that I was hunting in a place that others had used long before me.