Originally Posted by eyeball
Unreal to find that much stuff so quickly.
miles of cornrows, grid searching row by row in the 'hot spots', hours and hours on my feetsies.

I also fan out from hot spots and do wide open across field searches too. If the corn is ankle high, I can weave pependicular through the matrix. Mind you, these guys set their air drill rows at 30", so there's plenty of comfortable viewage as I step thru-, look left-look right-step again all in a fluid motion. It's amazing how fast the human eye and brain can process the scan. If I'm crosscutting, I cover quite a bit ground and can see about 25ft left and right. So about a 50ft swath as i step though. Because all I'm looking for is quick contrasting color of black flint against red clay or tan soil or the quick glint of light hitting a concoidial surface.
If doing parallel grid walking, I can murder about 6 rows at a time on flanks at a steady pace. As the crop gets taller, the shadowing robs you of the keen ability to seperate information.
However, an overcast day levels the playing field and one can see thru the stalk matrix again.

You also have to be studied in your endeavour. I try to understand how the landscapes might have looked 6,000 yrs ago. An understanding of geomorphology coupled with a hunch usually puts me where the stuff is.

I also don't spend tons of time discussing which handgun is best to carry in the shower. Laffin