The model 7 is based on the 600 action. It saves a few ounces, which would help in a light weight build, but I believe it is only a 2 or 3 ounce difference( not positive on this). No advantage to a long range rifle and you are right boxer it is really a series of concessions as far as accessories and aftermarket options. Mcm inlets many stocks for the model 7 as does manners and others I believe. I have one in 243 that has been very accurate for a factory pencil barreled gun with a tuperwear stock. Slg888 has seen it shoot. It doesn't compare to one of his gradous rifles. The 7 and 700 have same box length at around 2.85 I believe. I' am not a smith, and I am rather new to the custom gun arena. I have been reading your posts on this forum because you guys are knowledgable. Not looking for a argument or to start a flaming on this. I just see that for his application the seven action could work and he has one already. His smith may just want to so something different for a change. Other than the obvious aftermarket availability of parts what advantage does a 700 have over a 7 action?(serious question)