Not trying to stir any pots (although I suspect some will be stirred anyway) but the discussion in the over 60 thread prompts me to ask at what point “killing power” gives way to “stopping power”.

I’ve only seen a fraction of the game killed that a lot here have, but it has been my consistent experience that placement is indeed the largest part of the equation. E.g. a 375 H&H driving a 270 gr. Swift A-Frame into the guts of a 125 pound impala does not kill it or even prevent it from running off, but a .30-30 in the aorta of a deer will drop it in seconds. The Swedes did their study of various calibers on elk and there was almost no difference in how far the game traveled (17 yards total IIRC) between the 6.5x55 on up to a .375 H&H.

Yet guides still pack large .45+ caliber rifles to STOP the game.

So why do we see so little difference in the ability of well placed bullets of various diameter to cause the death of an animal by starving the brain of oxygen versus what must be a difference in bullet diameter (not velocity so much) in non-CNS hits as a factor in making them immediately desist from a rage induced desire to kill someone? Obviously placement still plays a part but I guess my question then is what is the reason for using a big bullet? Folks have been coming up with various "stopping power" formulas for years but I don't know which one is the latest in vogue.

Btw, it's not like I don't have opinions on this, just thought this might provide a topic for polite conversation.

Perhaps Phil Shoemaker can weigh in, I recall he’s stopped a bear or two, although he might not be the best choice since I understand he's traded in his .458 WM Old Ugly for a 9mm handgun... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!