Originally Posted by jorgeI
The hunter, Aaron Nielsen one of the most experienced out there, was way out of position and while he had to make the shot, his PH was FORWARD of the line of fire. What a recipe for disaster.

As I watched it for the first time, I thought Nielsen was going to shoot the PH. Looking at the angles I don't think he had much clearance between his bullet's path and the PH's left arm.

Apparently, the PH got off a shot before the camera came back on, but it was Nielsen's first shot into the charge that really turned that bull, then the PH's shot and Nielsen's last shot.

Also, I watched the clip several times, trying to discern the caliber of rifle the PH was using. It looked like either a .458 Lott or a .470 Rigby, and either one puts a lot of energy out in some heavy bullets.

Nielsen's last shot would have also been a great first shot. grin

You can see the obvious adrenaline reactions in both Nielsen and the PH, but I think the PH was far more affected, which is natural, given that the bull was charging him, and not Nielsen. It looked to me as if the PH was still having his life flash before his eyes even several minutes later.

The shots on that elephant didn't impress me, either. I'm not entirely sure where he hit that elephant the first two shots. Heart and then an attempted brain shot?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell