Originally Posted by Angus1895
[img]http://Elastic and Inelastic Collisions. A perfectly elastic collision is defined as one in which there is no loss of kinetic energy in the collision. ... Momentum is conserved in inelastic collisions, but one cannot track the kinetic energy through the collision since some of it is converted to other forms of energy.[/img]

This is shared HINT HINT I did not write it.

Is all kinetic energy lost?

Why does the above definition use the words " some Kinetic energy is lost" not all?

Where does it go?

Is there a way to predict how much is converted, and how much is conserved?

If it gets converted to what?

How does one differentiate the type of collision? As in total ,partial, and non elastic.

How does one define " momentum"?

If I missed or not dispatch the bull then he runs me over iis that collision elastic, inelastic or partially elastic?

The next post is a shared video of the skulls .?

Thank you.

I'll play.

- Energy is never "lost", per se, but it can be transferred outside of the system in question, or converted to other forms. In the case of an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy in the system in consideration is converted to other forms of energy, the amount of which depends on the nature of the collision

- Some kinetic energy is transferred from one object to another, and some is used to perform other actions

- Due to the individualities of every shot, there's no way to predict how much KE is conserved in the collision, with any accuracy- part of the reason that using "FPE" as a killing-power guideline is folly

- The KE that is not conserved in the collision get converted into thermal energy, is used to deform the bullet, deform tissue, etc

- Perfectly elastic collision is when objects collide without deformation and bounce off of each other (billiard balls colliding), an imperfect inelastic collision involves deformation of the objects, and the objects bounce off of each other (car accident), and a perfectly inelastic collision involves deformation of the objects and the objects stick together after colliding (bullet colliding with an animal)

- A working definition could be the tendency of an object in motion to stay in motion

- Imperfectly inelastic

What's your point? The fact remains that using the kinetic energy of a bullet as a primary means to quantify its killing effectiveness, is extremely ineffective.