Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Doc,

I mentioned the common, nonsense definition of "hydrostatic shock" primarily to find out what Angus meant. You're absolutely right, it doesn't mean anything, but was a term promoted by many people during the early days of very high velocity cartridges, one of the biggest promoters being Roy Weatherby. As some people have pointed out in the past, even the term "hydrostatic" doesn't apply, as there's nothing static about it...

From my reading on bullet tissue-damage, cavitation can be a major factor in creating a larger wound channel, but it still isn't enough to short-circuit a deer's brain with a hit in the butt. .

JB, I knew you knew that, and that you were just being a lot nicer about hitting the BS button than I am capable of being. I didn't know ol' Roy Weatherby was the guilty party for the propagation of that term. Interesting bit of trivia, that!

And I think your reading of temporary cavitation is pretty much correct, btw.

Originally Posted by smokepole
Yes but if we apply the same principles to humans and more specifically some campfire members (judging from some of the responses here), short-circuiting the brain from a hit in the butt becomes not only more likely but virtually assured.

grin

Thanks for the laugh, amigo.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars