Doc,

Interesting about people criticizing Craig for "not taking a stand."

However, when younger he did take some stands, including suggesting a firm line at .30 caliber minimum for larger, tougher non-dangerous game, whether elk or various African plains game. But when his daughter started hunting a while back, he saw what a 7mm-08 would do with good bullets, and not just once but repeatedly. He even decided to go elk hunting with a .270 Winchester, because some other people criticizing him for not having any experience with cartridges smaller than .30 caliber. He ended up taking a good bull at over 400 yards with one 150-grain Nosler Partition--and at that time the bull went down quicker than any other bull he'd ever taken. All of which apparently caused him to be a little more journalistic in his approach--though Craig did comment to the guy with him when he shot the elk, Mike Ballew of the Whittington Center, that now he could go back to using bigger cartridges again! (Mike told me the story when I got lucky and hunted the Whittington for elk myself a decade ago.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck