These threads about dangerous game and the guns used are certainly entertaining! Doesn't take long to see who has experience and who doesn't. One thing that hasn't been mentioned much is that it is very rare for an animal to charge....even in Africa. I guided a very experienced PH last fall that also does a lot of filming for other African PHs. He told me in all his years there he was involved in one real charge. ( a cape buff) The thing to remember is that 99.9% of the time a big game animal does charge, some boneheaded human is responsible. Usually this is because the animal was wounded first. The biggest two reasons guys miss or make a bad shot is because of buck fever, or they are afraid of their rifle. If I had a dollar for every grizzly Ive saw guys miss with their first shot I would be rich. I can't figure out how to post pictures on here, but I have a picture that says a lot....its a picture of George Davis with a record book interior grizzly that had been wounded and he sorted out. George was easily one of the most experienced guides in the north. He guided full time for over 40 years. I was lucky enough to get to apprentice under George my first season in the mountains and George never left camp without his old model 94 30-30. He cleaned up more messes with that gun than most guys will ever see in their life time. No I am not advocating you use a 30-30......my only point is that you don't need a 460.

Im off to the bush in the morning for a short hunt of my own before my guiding season starts. Ive got a pocketful of tags, and a grizzly is among them. While Im not really looking for a bear if a good one shows up I would take it. My rifle of choice for this solo hunt?? A short Ruger in 308 Winchester. Any bets on whether I come back wink