Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I spoke with him a couple of years ago at DSC convention. He was quite non-chalant about it. Incidentally, the rifle was a 458...

Another video that shows how a charging animal can be "turned" by application(s) of big, heavy bullets. It also shows what happens if that same big, heavy bullet is not placed exactly right to begin with.

Ed

Great illustration, Ed. As the hunter says near the end, "This was my first time hunting with this double rifle", and he points to where he hit it with his first shot, which is well back of the rib cage. If you're gonna shoot 'em in the guts, you need something like an 88mm. But even that won't work if you're unfamiliar with it!

This probably belongs in the Africa forum rather than here, but I'm on my iPad and the switch is hard.

When I was preparing for my buff hunt in '15, our 24HCF compadre Ingwe--bless his black heart--advised me to shoot at least 500 rounds in practice through my African rifle. Kimber Caprivi 375 H&H Mag. I ended up shooting close to 700 rounds in 2 months as it happens. But by the time I went to Zimbabwe I by God knew that rifle. My only qualm about it was that it was only a 375; but I was reassured significantly by the fact that my PH would be toting a 470 Rigby, so if it came to a charge, the greater stopping power of his rifle would be available. I still stand by that decision, and when I go back next year or the one after that, I'll take my 375 with the same or even greater confidence. And if I am blessed with the opportunity to acquire a big double at some time in the future, I'll make sure I have 500+ rounds through it before I pack my gear for the trip!

This video is illustrative of the potential danger of being tempted by the mystique of the double rifle. I've hunted with SXS shotguns my whole life, and when I meet other hunters or clays shooters it's amazing to hear how many say they can't hit anything with a double unless it's an O/U... and then these same guys will start bragging about the Heym or British SXS rifle they bought to hunt DG in Africa! If you can't kill doves or partridge with a SXS scattergun, you have no business taking a SXS rifle for DG. Bore size and big bullets and energy and mystique can never make up for proper shot placement, but as Phil says, it's nice if you can have it all.

End of rant.

Last edited by DocRocket; 08/10/17.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars