Originally Posted by Angus1895
Thank you hunt n shoot. I know in the savage group there is a retired Tank Comander. I am just leery as to how much to discuss and share on a public forum about Army Training.

However I am fascinated by the science of debunking studies without articles or references to rely on for evidence to support positions.
But what ever, I know personally I have learned a bunch of things during this debate and find the whole concept of hydrostatic shock fascinating. I wonder where one could apply to help the lovely lady shooter go over her " figures."

As others have pointed out, the term "hydrostatic shock" is self-contradictory at worst and a misnomer at best. What I was hoping to explain a bit in my post is why the fluid dynamics of a bullet through the rib cage/lungs can at least parallel some of the effects of a sabot round through a tank turret, including drawing tissue and fluids out the exit.

And smokepole, speaking of cavitation, once the bullet strikes the medium of the target, high-speed camera shows that the bullet doesn't seem to actually contact the fluid much within the medium. The compressed fluid (shock wave) in front of (and to the sides of) the bullet is the thing that does the damage through the fluid, if the projectile is travelling fast enough. Thus the holes through things that are far bigger than the actual projectile used. I don't understand all the physics involved, but I have seen the effect.

I'm really in the "Who cares?" camp though. I shoot stuff in specific places, and that stuff dies. If I screw up badly, the clowns may come out, and a rodeo ensues. I prefer bullets that start off heavy for caliber and lose weight within the animal, because they seem to do a better job of putting stuff down, regardless of whether there are clowns involved. I've not had any luck getting monos to shoot well for me, or else I'd likely have tried them on animals by now, to do some high speed, small projectile testing.

This year, most of my hunting will be done with cast WFN, unless some distance shooting (over 300) ends up being necessary. The elk seem to be in the high, thick timber th last two years. Speaking of "stoppers", I think a hardcast 44 cal 310 at 2150 qualities.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 08/13/17.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.