Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by yukon254

A lot of truth here. The problem in my experience is this: very few...and by that I mean I have maybe seen a handful of hunters in my 30+ year guiding career that can handle big calibers. Any time you start getting into the 338 WM kind of recoil accuracy starts to suffer. There are some that can shoot the big calibers accurately don't get me wrong, but the vast majority of hunters would be way better off sticking with something they can shoot. That is my biggest pet peeve with these types of threads; guys read them and think they gotta have a 416 to hunt grizzly, or browns. It just aint true. What happens is they bring a rifle they can't handle on a hunt and either wound an animal ( that a guide like me has to risk life and limb to find ) or completely miss. They would be much better off if they knew that a 30/06 class rifle with good bullets will do the job just fine. Im currently using a 338 Federal and with good bullets I get all the penetration I need for any angle on interior bears. I've killed wounded bears at point blank range, and shot clean through a big bull bison at 300 yards. More isn't needed, but if you can accurately shoot them by all means bring a heavy rifle.

A friend of mine hunted with this well know outfit and of course by no means the standard, but they want you to bring a 416 at least (if you can shoot it) even for black bears. Apparently they don't like chasing after them in the alders. I hope to some day hunt Alaska and when I go, at the very least, I'll carry a 338. I've hunted Africa and have no issues with shooting big bores.

Glacier Bay

Whitworth shot a pig with his 416 Remington with 300 Grant TSX at 2900 FPS + and the pig ran off. They weren't able to find the pig that day and the guides gave him a rash of [bleep] about missing. The pig was found the next day hit through the chest cavity with tons of internal damage to the clock work. Amazing that he went anywhere! No guarantees.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first