Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Angus1895

It looks like there is a definite less need for speed for stopping power as the bullet gets larger around, and heavier will have more ( please insert correct term) I would call it energy.

Angus - be advised that 'some' here at the Fire don't believe that FPE is real or don't believe it's important.

Maybe ? I'm just old skool having 'learnt' during the 70s. & 80s about reloading, shooting, & killing.
But I believe that no work gets done without 'energy'.

To illustrate my point, what happens IF we flip a bullet into the side of an animal ?
We may startle or spook it, but there is no damage.

OTOH, if that same bullet is propelled at a mere 1000 fps, WORK gets done enuff to
injure (damage) or kill the animal.

Enuff E is required to produce (work) lethal damage.

That's an effort to illustrate the point in layman's terminology.

Jerry

A bullet impact is an inelastic collision, energy is not conserved, momentum is conserved. In an elastic collision both energy and momentum is conserved. This is fact not theory.

There are many types of energy, stored, electrical, heat,etc in ballistics we are talking about "kinetic energy" which is calculated not measured. The wound channel is produced by momentum transfer, direct applied force, the frontal area of the projectile for the direct crushed tissue, the amount of hydraulic pressure ( which is dependent on speed" to increase) not energy transfer.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first