Originally Posted by akjeff
"This has been very interesting reading so I'll add my 2 cents, bear in mind it's worth what you pay for it:). You don't need stopping power for any North American animal except for the big bears."
I would add Dall sheep and mountain goat( or any critter that lives in steep terrain ). A sheep or goat making even a relatively short "death run" could very easily make it unrecoverable. Bang flops be a good thing with such game. Jeff

Add in a pissed off moose as in a cow with a calf or a bull in rut. Two Anchorage cops had to kill moose, one cow, one bull, after they charged and tried to kill the officers. The first that I know of was at University Lake back in '90 or '91 and the officer used his S&W Mod 59 with Hydrashoks (emptied the magazine before the cow went down), and the other was at East High School where the officer emptied his Glock 21 (Speer Gold Dots or Remington Golden Sabres) into a bull that was trying to gore him.
Both got lucky as they both brained their moose with their last shots. We didn't train with handguns to stop a moose or bear, but probably should have. BTW, neither officer was a hunter.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell