Originally Posted by Mule Deer

...Craig's books are very informative because they DON'T contain only his opinions, and those of PH's who might agree with him--which is what "my PH said" stories are often about. Instead he made it a major point to interview LOTS of experienced PH's, and their opinions can vary as much as those of Campfire members talking about deer or elk rifles. In fact PH's seem to enjoy arguing about rifles just as much as many Campfire members.

...The books of Bell and Taylor are primarily valuable for their historical perspective, but their ballistic theories have been twisted too often by relatively inexperienced hunters, many already prejudiced about the subject. Craig's books are far more valuable for their overall perspective, accomplished by his encyclopedic inclusion of other, widely experienced hunters.

I quite agree about Mr. Boddington's books. The first time I looked at SR-I, it was years ago and hunting Africa wasn't in the future as far as I knew. "Meh," says I, and moved on. But when I had firm Africa plans in place, his book and the sequel had become much, much more relevant, and I read through them with keen interest in the detailed opinions. Great resource.

I had opportunity to meet Craig last winter at DSC and to discuss some of his viewpoints, and I look forward to a followup meeting next January, which I hope will be more in-depth than the first. There are one or two other old Africa hands that come regularly that I need to peg for more in-depth interviews as well. I appreciate you pointing out that Boddington is an actual journalist, something I've noted as well. Some of the crustier guys I know pooh-pooh him for "not taking a stand", thinking he's being wishy-washy, when in fact he's doing what a journalist is supposed to do... presenting the facts and opinions of others.

Anyways, thanks for the reply, JB. Now get cracking on that Africa book of yours, will you? Tick-tock, tick-tock!!!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars