I have a couple 270’s, a couple 280’s and a 280 AI. Several other 7mm’s.

I’ve always liked 7mm’s. If I had to eliminate all but one. I’d keep a 280. My 280AI is set up more for long range coyotes. In fact, if I were to have only one rifle for deer and bigger animals. I’d be hard pressed to decide. It would either be a 30-06 or a 280. I have shot a lot of prong horns and never shot a big bear. I’d prefer the ‘06 for bear. I prefer a 280 for pronghorn. For deer, all three 270, 280, ‘06 are great.

I have had several ‘06’s that shoot less than 1/4MOA. One 270 that put three shots that could be covered by a dime. And a 280 that shot 1/4MOA.
So accuracy isn’t an issue. Accuracy like that is not needed for game animals. I don’t shoot over 300 yards for game animals. So long range performance isn’t an issue.

So why 280? Cause I like the cartridge. But I like the ‘06 just as much.

In the end, if you can’t stand the terrific recoil then go with the smallest. If you need long range with power then perhaps a 280AI. If you grew up with a ‘06 and shoot cast bullets then ‘06.

But if you were going to shoot under 300 yards and were to shoot 150 grain Nosler Partitions. Then recoil and performance is vertically identical.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally